[geeks] Flash Player Video/XP/AMD glitch

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Dec 26 14:39:20 CST 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 06:59:37PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>On 26 Dec 2009, at 18:16, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> On Dec 26, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if it's XP +
>>> new hardware being stoopid, and if we wouldn't be better off trying Win 7
>Home Premium.
>>
>> You know you can try Win7 w/o product key, right? I'd grab some media and
>try it on a spare HD/partition...
>
>I know that, it's convincing my dad that that's the case... :)

Tuning in late  here, does it work with VLC or Mplayer, both of which are
available for Windows?

VLC is better in that all of the codecs it uses are included in the package,
Mplayer will use either included, their own add-ons, or Windows codecs.

Make sure your video drivers and Direct X are the latest version. If you
update or install new video or audio drivers, you have to update DirectX
even if it was at the latest level before you updated the drivers.

Just as a wild guess, if your RAM is in more than one DIMM, then try removing
one or moving them around. Besides being an actual RAM fault, if there are
pairs of sockets and you put in what seem to be identical DIMMS in a pair,
many chipsets will attempt to interleave the memory. If they are not identical,
they will fail in strange ways.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.