[geeks] Shortwave tips

Jonathan J. M. Katz jon at jonworld.com
Fri Dec 25 21:32:32 CST 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Jeff Cole <jeff at flambe.org> wrote:
> So, I got a radio for Christmas that does AM, FM, WX, and Shortwave
> (6000-12100 KHz) bands.
>
> Any tips on 'interesting' Shortwave bands to check out? The product manual
> makes passing mention to 'aircraft' bands, but, I claim 100% newbie status
> to this, so I'm kind of lost.

The URL below may help you out. Look for the VHF stuff further down
the page. There is nothing really worth listening to on the NDBs
(which are AM-frequency used for antiquated navigation and sometimes
relaying weather info.)

http://www.smeter.net/spectrum/aviation.php

Based on where you live, you can look up your nearby airports and find
the local frequencies that apply to you. Then again, for some of that,
there is liveatc.net, too. Everything between 108 and 112Mhz is
primarily used for navigation, too, but they also have automated
weather info, sometimes. 121.5 is more exciting, but (hopefully)
rarely used; the emergency communications frequency.

-Jon (perpetual student pilot.)