[geeks] food geekery question

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Dec 22 11:18:43 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:53:23AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>The question then is where to get the acceptable recipes?

Start out with the two I mentioned before, and work from there.

Ok, since we all have attention spans smaller than a cat, it was a pre-2000
edition of the Joy of Cooking, and Carla Emery's book,

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Country-Living-Carla-Emery/dp/1570615535/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261501962&sr=8-1

If you are more specific, I could possibly point some out. James Beard is
good, and so on. Look for books with substance and not glitz.

>Not a fan of Good Eats?

Never heard of it. I'll see if I can find it.

>> Read Paul Purdomes (sp?) books, "Fork in the Road" first.
>
>Paul Prudhomme?  I'll have to read that book.

Yes, it was written after his wife died, I think of heart disease. He changed
from being the inventor of blackened everything, e.g. meat, butter, spices,
butter, a hot pan, butter, and a fire (oh and did I mention butter) to low
fat cooking.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.