[geeks] food geekery question

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Dec 22 11:11:28 CST 2009

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 09:16:40AM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
>> But beyond that, if you're going to be doing a lot of food prep at home,
>> the most important investment you can make is a set of really good
>> kitchen knives.  If I lost the blender, mixer, processor and every other
>> small appliance I would be fine as long as I had my knives.
>
> Of course, a reasonable set could be two good chef knives (or Santoku)
> in 8 and 10 in lengths, a cheap bread knife, and a modest pairing
> knife.

Personally I go with a 10" or 12" chef's knife, a 10" slicer, and a pair
of utility knives (4" and 6").  I use swivel parers rather than a paring
knife.  I too would like to add a proper cleaver to my set at some
point, and this bread knife:

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=MACSB105

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.