[geeks] Spotted in the "closeout/remainder bin" at computer store

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:29:07 CST 2009

Hello all,

I was out at my local MicroCenter, picking up a Mac Book for my son
(2.26 GHz, 2 Gig DDR3, Discrete graphics, 250 Gig HD, and DVD
Superdrive, IIRC) for $799 after $200 rebate, and I spotted a "white
box" system (actually three of them) with interesting specs:

Intel G31 chipset MB w/ Q8200 Quad Core CPU (No VT support)
4 Gigs of RAM
2x 500 Gig RAID SATA drives configured as RAID 1
DVD-R/W
Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers
Windows 7 Business x64

All with a sticker price of $385, BUT, they were having their 30% off
sale, so the actual out the door price would be $269.50.

I have no use/need for the machine, but that is an amazing price. I
thought about getting one for my son, to upgrade his Pentium D805
(dual core) system (with 2 Gig RAM max)

If the CPU supported VT, I would have gotten two, but I don't want to
eliminate XPmode/hyper-visor Virtual Machine support...

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com