[geeks] food geekery question

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Dec 22 09:51:06 CST 2009

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> The N50 is about $1600 to $2000 USD including shipping if bought new.
> No doubt a great mixer but a little out of my price range at the moment.
>
> Am tending towards the KitchenAid Pro 600 at the moment ($335 or so at
> Amazon) , supposed to have an all-metal housing and gearbox - they used
> to use plastic but are now replacing any plastic pieces that fail with
> metal; supposedly the Pro dough hook is better than the Artisan and
> lower-end models.

Honestly, unless you do something really outrageous with it, you're
unlikely to do anything that'll break a current all-metal(-again) Pro
series.  My wife used hers for all kinds of things, including bread
dough and pizza crust, for several years with only one problem; that
problem was that the phenolic gearbox housing fractured.  I replaced it
with the now-standard-again metal housing; end of problem.  The
following year, we sold it for most of the price we paid for it, after
our neighbor across the street gave her a Hobart C-100.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.