[geeks] food geekery question

Kurt Huhn artisan at k-huhn.com
Tue Dec 22 08:46:01 CST 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Kurt Huhn wrote:
>> But beyond that, if you're going to be doing a lot of food prep at
>> home, the most important investment you can make is a set of really
>> good kitchen knives.  If I lost the blender, mixer, processor and
>> every other small appliance I would be fine as long as I had my
>> knives.
>
> That.  Even with all the appliances, you still need a good set of
> knives.
>
> My personal taste runs to Wusthof (I tend to like their balance better
> than other brands), but tastes vary.  Don't even consider anything
> stamped out of stainless sheet.  Look very skeptically at anything
> serrated except a bread knife.  If it says "AS SEEN ON TV!" on the
> box,
> back away slowly and shop someplace else.

Absolutely!

I have a set of Henckels Pro S that are the general use knives - then
I have a set of carbon steel (not stainless) that are "Kurt's Knives"
and nobody else is allowed to touch them.  Going on 5 years of near
daily use, they're still razor sharp, and have never been sharpened.

Wustoff, Henckels, and Kershaw are all good stainless knives - and
there's probably a good half dozen more manufacturer names that are
worth real money.  Good carbon steel knives are a little harder to
find, and when you do, they're mostly in Asian pattern blades, and a
little more expensive since they're lower volume production.  However,
good carbon steel can't be beat for edge holding ability.

--
Kurt Huhn
Renaissance Man, Malcontent, Oversized Ostrogoth