[geeks] food geekery question

Kurt Huhn artisan at k-huhn.com
Tue Dec 22 08:16:40 CST 2009

On Dec 21, 2009, at 10:40 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> OK,
>
> So I am trying to prepare more meals at home rather than eat out as
> much
> (sort of a New Year's resolution / saving money thing; plus I want to
> cut down on sodium intake).
>
> One of the problems is the food preparation stage:  cutting, slicing,
> dicing, kneading, etc.
>
> As a result, it seems that there are mixers, like the well-known US
> brand Kitchen Aid, but recently there seem to be high-end blenders
> with
> 2+ HP motors that claim to be able to do everything a mixer can do,
> including mixing / kneading the bread (plus usual blending tasks like
> making smoothies, puree soups, etc.).
>
> So the question is:  high end mixer, or high end blender?

Yes.

I have a stick blender (aka boat motor), stand blender, food
processor, and stand mixer.  The stand blender is an Oster and has
stood up to 10 years of use, and wasn't very expensive.  The stand
mixer is a Kitchen Aid Ultra, and again has stood up to 10 years of of
nearly daily use.  The other two are generic brands and get use only a
couple times a month.  The stick blender really only gets used during
canning season.

But beyond that, if you're going to be doing a lot of food prep at
home, the most important investment you can make is a set of really
good kitchen knives.  If I lost the blender, mixer, processor and
every other small appliance I would be fine as long as I had my knives.

--
Kurt Huhn
Renaissance Man, Malcontent, Oversized Ostrogoth