[geeks] Proxy servers to get streaming video

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Dec 21 14:56:53 CST 2009

On Dec 21, 2009, at Dec 21, 2009 12:20 AM, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

<snip>

> Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a slingbox? A friend of
> mine's father
> got one when they first came out, and it was of absolutely no use.
> It needs a sustained data rate of about 1.5megabits per second, and
> at the time, it
> was simply not possible from the US to here without dedicated "lines".
>
> If you do, I'd love to try it.

I've got a Slingbox Solo, the low-end unit, one SD video feed, plugged
into my TiVo.  My internet connection from the house is WiMax/4G,
provided by Clear.com.  Theoretically, I should be getting 1mbit
upstream, however, I seem to be in a poor service area, but I am able
to sustain 400-500 kbit/s up w/o any issue.  Watching TV over it is
not ideal, but good enough for most stuff.  I wouldn't want to watch a
sporting event over it, but the sitcoms/dramas are OK.  The SlingBox
system seems to do a good job of auto-adjusting the encodings for the
available bandwidth.

Ping me off-list if you'd like to give it a shot.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org