[geeks] Picked up a Dell Precision 450 today, video card suggestions?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Dec 2 11:00:18 CST 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 11:51:45AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Anyway, the video card is on an 8x/4x AGP slot, and advice for a good
> "bang-for-the-buck" AGP 4x or 8x video card for desktopy-things (not
> AutoCAD 3D work). I'm thinking I should be able to get a reasonable
> card for $40-50 (new), half that for used. This will likely be a WinXP
> box, but Ubuntu/Linux support should factor in to it (a
> possibility)... I don't see Vista/Win7 on this box.

Any ATI Radeon 9??? or X??? with at least 64 megs of RAM would be my
pick for good, versitile, and cheap.

If you really don't care about speed, than any Radeon 7xxx or 8xxx with
at least 64 megs could also be picked.  I bought a stack of really cheap
Radeon 7x00s with 32 megs and found that the 32megs wasn't quite enough
for everything I wanted.  For regular 2D desktop use the cards were
fine, but for use with compositing desktops, only 32 megs limited the
resolutions I could use too much (1024x768).

If you really do care about speed (for say, 3D games), I think you might
be able to get a Nvidia Geforce of the 6x00 through 8x00 type in AGP
fairly cheaply.