[geeks] Picked up a Dell Precision 450 today, video card suggestions?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 10:51:45 CST 2009

Hello all,

After a long hiatus, I went to the Princeton University Surplus sale
and picked up a Dell Precision 450 desktop/workstation for a decent
price ($57 + tax):

dual 2.4 GHz Xeon CPUs (533 MHz, 512K cache, Hyper-threading support)
4x 256 Meg ECC PC2100 RAM (supports ECC or not, up to 4 Gigs)
CD-ROM, 40 Gig IDE HD
And an odd nVidia video card (single VGA port), looks like Quadro2,
but can't find model with only one video port?

(two PCI and one PCI-X 64-bit expansion slot)

Anyway, the video card is on an 8x/4x AGP slot, and advice for a good
"bang-for-the-buck" AGP 4x or 8x video card for desktopy-things (not
AutoCAD 3D work). I'm thinking I should be able to get a reasonable
card for $40-50 (new), half that for used. This will likely be a WinXP
box, but Ubuntu/Linux support should factor in to it (a
possibility)... I don't see Vista/Win7 on this box.

I'll probably cut over to SATA for the HD, and up the RAM to 2 or 4
Gigs, based on what I can find handy...

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

--
Lionel Peterson