[geeks] Suggestions for USB to serial adapter?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Aug 21 09:43:40 CDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:26:43AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> On a related note, does anyone make a USB->serial adapter that directly
> supports an RJ45 serial connector (Cisco/Sun compatible)? I'd like one
> without a small block of adaptors hanging off it...
>
> Surely someone identified that market segment and created a product to
> address it.

I have seen no such thing.  I did see one with screw terminals, but it
may have been RS-485.

However, FTDI does sell cables that terminate in bare wires that I would
assume you could easily cripm into an RJ45 jack.

How much would you be willing to pay for such a product anyway ($50?),
and how many other people would pay a similar price?