[geeks] the end of the internet as we know it.

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Aug 4 13:14:27 CDT 2009

> If we got rid of the immigration bureaucracy and all the social welfare
> programs that people perceive the "illegals" are exploiting, the problem
> would solve itself:  People who want to come here to work hard can.
> People who come here and don't want to, won't have a choice.  Joe Random
> American won't be saddled with the costs of supporting an untenable
> policy.

Isn't the immigration bureaucracy the result of commercial lobbying on the
part of agribusiness?

> Or, yeah, we could do your thing and pass more laws and/or step up police
> enforcement.  That's worked swimmingly so far.

Well I'd argue that no more laws are needed, we already have all the laws
we need, we're just not enforcing them.  In the last 10 years any
"stepping up" of police enforcement has been for show and nobody has dared
tried to really enforce anything.

What I'm proposing won't happen, but here goes - I consider the CEOs and
upper management of the major agribusiness companies in this country
who've benefited from illegal immigrants to be the equivalent of mafia
crime bosses and I think they are morally culpable for the actions of
their companies the same way that mafia crime bosses are morally culpable
for the actions of their subordinates, and that we should prosecute and
potentially jail them.  After all, it's their ship.  (Maybe if this was
Japan, they'd at least commit sepaku.)

- Nate