[geeks] Any jobs?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 18:39:40 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Aaron Finley <aaronfinley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> wrote:
>> On Apr 24, 2009, at 00:35 , Aaron Finley wrote:
>>
>>> On 4/23/09, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
>> With respect, that is quite off.
>>
>> This has nothing to do with particular skills for one thing, as contract
>> rates are falling across the board, for pretty much all skill levels and
>> without much regard for how "new" the skills are.
>>
>> The fact that the trend is going against demand is a big part of why it is
>> hard to combat.
>>
>> Besides, all things being equal, pay generally increases with time as your
>> experience increases, and remains so unless the skill is not needed, and
>> that has certainly been true for me.  I make quite a bit more than others
>> doing the same job but with less time on the job and less training.
>
> My field may be different. While rates have trended down, there is
> considerable value in remaining on the edge.
>
> Bedrock skill sets (e.g. development) are now 1:1 to W2. No point in
> not being W2. In the 90s these skills were four times W2.
>
> However, the newer and more in demand skillsets are still fetching two
> to four times W2, sometimes more.

My buddy in the Houston, TX area, with long term .net, XML, and MSSQL
development experience has not reported any problems like this.  He
works corp-to-corp, and has been employed in long term contracts for
pretty much since I can remember.  His corp status gives him tax
breaks, since he can write off all of his "employer paid" healthcare,
etc. to lower his tax revenue profile.  Doing corporations in some
states is obviously easier than in others, but you can often work
around this by using a corporate service company in places like
Nevada.

=Nadine=