[geeks] Backup software (yeah, yeah, I know)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 12:00:34 CDT 2009

On Apr 9, 2009, at 5:16 PM, "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at artell.net> wrote:

> Saith Lionel Peterson ...
>
>> Have you considered a networked HD? You could put gobs and gobs of
>> storage in one and backup using CIFS/SMB or FTP, and suitable
>> enclosures are fairly cheap... On the order of $40-100, depending on
>> drive interface (SATA or IDE), and number of drive bays.
>>
>> The netgear SC101 is one option, they take two IDE drives, do RAID 0
>> or RAID 1 (IIRC), and are pretty cheap ($40 for first-gen hardware).
>
> I thought about that, even if the things are at least twice the
> price here
> in France as they are back in the Big PX.  Of course, DVD-Rs are
> about five
> times the cost here as in the USA, so maybe I shouldn't complain
> about the
> price of hard drives.
>
> My main objection is that it's another dam' thing to carry, but I
> might just
> have to make room.

Addionics makes a NAS adapter that takes a standard USB drive and
makes it available over the network - I don't have the link handy
(this is from my iPhone), but you could lash it up to a 2.5" drive in
an enclosure and have a tiny backup solution smaller than an O'Reilly
book...

The Addionics NAS Adapter is $60-80 in the US, unsure of international
prices/availability.

Single drive NAS boxes are about the same price, but will work with
(and house) a bare 3.5" drive.

Their speed varies, but for incremental backups any one should be
fine...

Lionel