[geeks] Ebay, etc to report your income to the IRS?

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 10:40:13 CDT 2008

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> http://www.freedomworks.org/newsroom/press_template.php?press_id=2571
>
>  "Hidden deep in Senator Christopher Dodd's 630-page Senate housing
>   legislation is a sweeping provision that affects the privacy and
>   operation of nearly all of America's small businesses. The provision,
>   which was added by the bill's managers without debate this week, would
>   require the nation's payment systems to track, aggregate, and report
>   information on nearly every electronic transaction to the federal
>   government."

I'm REALLY tired of Congress issuing laws as riders that are totally
unrelated to the actual bill being put forth.

That being said, I'm of two opinions on this. First, people SHOULD
report their eBay (and other sources) earnings, I certainly do. But I
don't think eBay should have to do that. Although the way they are
screwing people over lately it would serve them right.

Maybe the IRS should figure out who the top 1000 sellers on eBay are and
check their records?

--
Rick Hamell
Tech Blog - http://www.1nova.com/blog