[geeks] LittleFall2

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 14:25:27 CDT 2008

I would assume, but the prices are a bit too high, IMO, @ $200+.

> After reading horror stories about hardwware RAID controllers dying, I
> kept things simple and went for a very cheap ($25?) 4 port Silicon
> Image SATA card and software RAID. Only having PCI is a problem with
> my Atom 230 machine - I wasn't able to get faster than SATA 150. Not
> really an issue for me (it is faster than the U60 it replaced), but it
> may be more of an issue on the new Atom motherboards which can do more
> and have gig-E.

I've had zero problems with the used 3Ware card I bought.  My problems
on the file server have all been related to other hardware failures: a
bad PSU (fixed under warranty, possibly as a result of running on
sagging power for a while), on-board IDE RAID going (probably due to
the PSU issue which was ID'd after the IDE RAID died), bulging caps
and attendant restarts resulting in me chucking the mobo, and finally,
a Western Digital drive keeling over.  In the past I generally had
good luck with hardware, so apparently this is my karma train
derailing.  I hope it doesn't decide to continue to haunt me when I
rebuild using the same 3Ware card and drives.

I do have a software RAID (Linux) file server (IDE) that I added to
the web test box for Time Machine Backups, but I'd really like to
merge the two boxes.  I'll probably get an eSATA case to house the
disks.

=Nadine=