[geeks] LittleFall2

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Thu Sep 25 01:25:22 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:56:16PM -0700, velociraptor wrote:
>Everything has better expansion capabilities than the MacBook Air. :-)
>
>I'm looking for something for the basis of a file server.  I'd like to
>keep it relatively low-power, but I think the "sweet spot" for used
>3ware cards is probably the 8 port PCI-X (I've not checked recently,
>so am guessing).  Having a 2nd slot available to further expand a RAID
>array would make it more "future proof".
>
>That said, I'd also prefer identical hardware to my planned
>hackintosh, if I can manage it and the price point is acceptable, just
>to keep the load low on my overworked brain.

Heh, my current Atom 230 machine does make a great little file server
- it seems we've all thought of using Atom machines for home
fileservers!

I don't think the D945GCLF2 motherboard can do anything other than
PCI, I am afraid. So, no 3ware PCI-X ;-( Are there better motherboards
for Atom 330 perhaps?

After reading horror stories about hardwware RAID controllers dying, I
kept things simple and went for a very cheap ($25?) 4 port Silicon
Image SATA card and software RAID. Only having PCI is a problem with
my Atom 230 machine - I wasn't able to get faster than SATA 150. Not
really an issue for me (it is faster than the U60 it replaced), but it
may be more of an issue on the new Atom motherboards which can do more
and have gig-E.

Cheers,
Jonathan