[geeks] Mr Bill?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Sep 19 11:47:33 CDT 2008

" From: Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org>
"
" On Sep 19, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
"
" > On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:56:52AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
" >
" > I'm not saying that there is a republican consipiracy.  However, I
" > wouldn't assume that just because the feds don't own gas stations,
" > refineries, tankers, oil rigs, or oil companies, doesn't mean they
" > can't
" > manipulate the price somehow, such as by asking for a favor in
" > exchange
" > for continuing favorable regulation.  And again, I'm sure that many a
" > politicians, regardless of party, is capable of asking for such favors
" > to keep himself or his friends in power.
"
" The Oil companies don't set the prices either.  The price of refined
" petroleums are based on the price of the barrel of oil, which is
" traded on a futures market by speculators.  It has very little to do
" with how much it cost to pump any individual barrel of oil out of the
" ground, it has to do with how much those who trade in those sorts of
" things think it might cost at some point in the future.

the oil cos don't sell directly to and set prices for their
franchisees?