[geeks] [rescue] Sun Ray desktop replacement or wide-scale implementation?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 15:18:31 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Francois Dion wrote:
>>> I have that experience.  It does most things perfectly.  Don't try to do
>>> video.
>>
>> If you use mplayer with xvideo support (I compile my own) it actually
>> is able to play video even on a sunray 1.
>
> That's fine, but that doesn't work as well for videoconferencing, or for the
> large number of (like Google Video and YouTube) websites that nowadays use
> an embedded Flash-based player to stream FLV.

mplayer works on flv and there is the mplayerplug-in (sourceforge) for
firefox. Of course, youtube is embedded. I haven't tried recently, but
this worked:

You can also use a firefox plugin to download the youtube video, such
as downloadhelper.

Advantage to saving it locally, you can upscale the 320:240 to 640:480 or more
mplayer blah.flv -sws 9 -vf scale=640:480

sws 9 is lanczos

Better quality than flash and uses less cpu.

Videoconferencing would be a problem. I haven't tried a webcam on a sunray.