[geeks] New Cray?

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Sep 16 12:43:53 CDT 2008

A talking watermelon whispered a message to me from: Dan Sikorski
> Mike Hebel wrote:
>> *also pukes in bucket*
>>
>> That's _not_ a supercomputer no matter what anyone says.
>>
>> At that size it couldn't _possibly_ have the I/O capability of a proper
>> supercomputer AND if it's running Windows it is DOA in my book for that
>> purpose.
>>
> How many years ago did Apple claim that the powermac was a
> supercomputer?  I think we diluted the term a long time ago.

We didn't buy it then and I'm not buying it now.

Even if I excluded the fact that the I/O is likely hamstrung it runs
Windows.  There's _nothing_ super about Windows.

As a desktop OS it's usable and in XP form can even be made stable.  As a
server OS I don't trust it to tie its own shoes.  As a supercomputer it's
like stretching the skin of a full-sized Dodge RAM around a box van and
claiming that the Cummins Turbo Diesel sticker isn't lying.

At best semi-usable when it doesn't crash - at worst it crashes before you
can even use it.

'Scuse me - I have to give myself a time-out here for starting a flame
war.  Sorry Bill.
--
Mike Hebel

		-- Dr. Who