[geeks] Mr Bill?

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Sep 17 14:40:00 CDT 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Mike Hebel wrote:
>>> " " " That's the biggest threat from hurricanes.  Most people are
>>> worried  " about them increasing in number and size, but a bigger
>>> threat is our  " expanding coastal city infrastructure and population.
>>>
>>> i can't help thinking, when i see the near-total destruction of
>>> galveston, that this is some sort of sign that folks shouldn't be
>>> living on barrier-beach islands.  i feel for their losses - but i
>>> sure don't want them rebuilding there with federal [my] money.
>>>
>>> buy them out on condition they rebuild -elsewhere-
>> No idea where I've heard that idea.  Nope.
>>
>> *cough*NewOrleansisinaholebelowseasleveltheidiots*cough*
>>
>> Couldn't agree with you more though!    ;-)
>
> The only problem with that attitude is that there are many places that
> are subject to all sorts of natural disasters.  A sizable percentage
> of the US population lives in an area where certain natural disasters
> can be expected.  So, if you subscribe to the idea that places subject
> to flooding due to hurricanes shouldn't be offered Federal disaster
> aid, then you should be prepared for places that are subject to
> wildfire, or earthquakes, or tsunamis, or landslides, or volcanoes, or
> river flooding to be subject to the same restriction.
Yes but there's an order of magnitude difference for some places.  I'll
get flamed for it I know but they should _never_ have even thought about
moving back into New Orleans for instance.  Period.   It _WILL_ flood
again and if  the rising seas are any indication will be underwater
within a decade unless they build a damn dome over it.
> I don't necessarily disagree with the attitude, though.  I tend to
> believe that if you don't have proper insurance for your property, you
> might deserve to lose your possessions.
Yes and no.  No insurance might not be a choice.  Rebuilding in harms
way - definitely your choice.

*hides in flame-proof bunker*

--
Mike Hebel

In the end the journey only matters if you've helped people along the way...