[geeks] Mr Bill?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 14:16:06 CDT 2008

Mike Hebel wrote:
>> " " " That's the biggest threat from hurricanes.  Most people are
>> worried  " about them increasing in number and size, but a bigger
>> threat is our  " expanding coastal city infrastructure and population.
>>
>> i can't help thinking, when i see the near-total destruction of
>> galveston, that this is some sort of sign that folks shouldn't be
>> living on barrier-beach islands.  i feel for their losses - but i
>> sure don't want them rebuilding there with federal [my] money.
>>
>> buy them out on condition they rebuild -elsewhere-
> No idea where I've heard that idea.  Nope.
>
> *cough*NewOrleansisinaholebelowseasleveltheidiots*cough*
>
> Couldn't agree with you more though!    ;-)

The only problem with that attitude is that there are many places that
are subject to all sorts of natural disasters.  A sizable percentage of
the US population lives in an area where certain natural disasters can
be expected.  So, if you subscribe to the idea that places subject to
flooding due to hurricanes shouldn't be offered Federal disaster aid,
then you should be prepared for places that are subject to wildfire, or
earthquakes, or tsunamis, or landslides, or volcanoes, or river flooding
to be subject to the same restriction.

I don't necessarily disagree with the attitude, though.  I tend to
believe that if you don't have proper insurance for your property, you
might deserve to lose your possessions.

Peace...  Sridhar