[geeks] The best things in the world

Alloysius Mdebe heavyj.gmbh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 23:38:50 CDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2008, at 17:15 , Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>>
>>> [FreeBSD]

>>> That bad? Sad. (The last FreeBSD I saw closer was around 4. I used
>>> 2.2.18 for a long time.)
>>
>> Reports of FreeBSD's bloat tend to be wildly overstated.  This is from a
>> fresh "everything" install of FreeBSD 7:
>
> It's not binary our source size I was referring too.
>
> I'm talking about feature and change bloat.
>
> After 4.x they needed to focus on speed, SMP, and bug fixes.
>
> Instead they made huge changes that were obviously way too much to do at
> once, and FreeBSD was a mess for years afterward, still is in some areas.
>
> I found FreeBSD unusable until release 7, and even that has issues.

Hello peoples,

You may find now that VM can be downlaoded free. Has excellent SMP
support, many bug fixes, and very fast. What happened, in early 90s,
is 80486 was released and everyone was stuck with ESAME machines with
nothing to do so people say to IBM "hey ibm why no free os for my
machine i'm trying to balance my accounts every night and there's
people with quattro pro kicking my ass" and 15 years later they
released one for z10 so they can try it out to see how quickly they
can do spreadsheets. I think the big reason why they didn't have one
in early nineteen 90s because spreadsheets required the extra bit
80486 had which IBM had to license from Intel.

-Alloysius