[geeks] The best things in the world

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Sep 13 21:27:56 CDT 2008

On Sep 13, 2008, at 17:15 , Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>
>> [FreeBSD]
>>> Starting with 5.x they abandoned reason and went on a massive
>>> feature bloat just like Linux did with 2.6.
>> That bad? Sad. (The last FreeBSD I saw closer was around 4. I used
>> 2.2.18 for a long time.)
>
> Reports of FreeBSD's bloat tend to be wildly overstated.  This is
> from a
> fresh "everything" install of FreeBSD 7:

It's not binary our source size I was referring too.

I'm talking about feature and change bloat.

After 4.x they needed to focus on speed, SMP, and bug fixes.

Instead they made huge changes that were obviously way too much to do
at once, and FreeBSD was a mess for years afterward, still is in some
areas.

I found FreeBSD unusable until release 7, and even that has issues.