[geeks] Source for a good 19" server rack...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 14 00:18:25 CDT 2008

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: 2008/09/14 Sun AM 12:04:16 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Source for a good 19" server rack...

>Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm about to reboot my digital life[0], and in the process I plan to
rebuild
>> my hardware collection, from whatever was cheapest at the time to what is
>> right for me going forward... I find myself in need of a server rack.
>>

>craigslist; or if you can make it to Lancaster, I can try to find you
>one from FreeGeekPenn.org - they sometimes get nice ones in, like the
>beige Compaq ones with the smoked plexi door.

Thanks Patrick, but I think I found a source - I hadn't looked on eBay in a
while, it turns out there's an outfit in MD selling brand new Dell 4210 42U
racks (with front & back doors but no sides) for just under $400. For brand
new (still on the pallet, shrink-wrapped from Dell) I think I can live with
$400 + round trip to Baltimore, MD.

The racks they offer have no sides, but I think I can get a pair of sides from
$WORK, as we just re-configured our racks and removed six or seven pairs of
sides from these very same racks...