[geeks] The best things in the world

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Sep 13 12:06:54 CDT 2008

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:36:47 -0400
Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> NetBSD and OpenBSD are pretty clean, but FreeBSD isn't.
IMHO: NetBSD is the cleanest implementation of The Unix Paradigm.

[FreeBSD]
> Starting with 5.x they abandoned reason and went on a massive
> feature bloat just like Linux did with 2.6.
That bad? Sad. (The last FreeBSD I saw closer was around 4. I used
2.2.18 for a long time.)

> > Linux really went from a free *ix system to a bad Windows surrogate.
> Linux is just a kernel.
I am quite aware of that. But most people aren't and I used "Linux" the
way most people do: Linux as a set of complete OS distributions.

> Most of what you are talking about here is the layers above it.
As I said: I reffer to the the whole shebang as you can't separate the
pieces that easily. There is a lot of influence kernel => userland and
vice versa.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen