[geeks] Replacement MacBook question

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Sep 8 16:51:53 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 05:44:14PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
> > Could be related to which add-ons each of us uses.
>
> I'd be curious what Flash plugins everyone has.
>
> In my experience, Flash can be one of the biggest culprits for browser
> instability and memory issues.  Version 9.0.124.0 has been better than
> previous releases in my experience, and I make sure I'm running it on
> every machine I use.  Also, keep in mind that there are seperate Flash
> installers for Firefox and for IE in Windows, so when you update Flash on
> Windows, you have to update twice, once for each browser.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64 (and before that 7.10 and so on) at work.
I upgraded to FF3b5 when it came out while on 7.10.  I upgrade to the
full FF3 release the day after it came out while still on 7.10 (even
though 8.04 was out).

It wasn't until July or August that I finally got Flash to work at all.
Prior to that for the life of this laptop under FF2 and FF3b5 and FF3, I
had no flash, and I still had terrible stability problems under FF2 and
much more moderate stability problems under FF3.  However, now having
Flash may be making the memory leaking worse than it already was.