[geeks] Bicycling Laptop Packs?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Sep 8 15:13:42 CDT 2008

Rick Hamell wrote:
> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> I think the Schwinn Meridian Adult bike is what you need - you can
>> keep your current backpack and carry as much as you want.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_sg?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=Schwinn+Meridian+Adult+26-Inch+3-Wheel+Bike
>>

> True... then I can also dress up in golf pants and be laughed at going
> down the street. :)

Well, I guess this depends on where you live and whose opinion you care
about, but I don't think you'd have quite the negative response that you
would have had five, or even two years ago.

That said, a big, heavy, slow tricycle like that would take away some of
the fun and utility of a more typical bicycle.  You couldn't easily pick
it up and run up a grassy hill like you would with a modern bicycle, and
even a large curb could pose a problem.  Also, to me, the geometry of
that tricycle would be uncomfortable for longer rides.

More along the lines of your original question, I have a Dell laptop bag
that is very comfortable, and might fit your needs.  the back on it is a
mesh, but I don't know if that would make it breathable, or just
absorbent.  I'm sure that someone else makes the bag, and just puts the
Dell logo on it, so i would guess that a non-dell version of it is out
there somewhere.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Carrying_Cases/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=310-7442

What i really like is that it is very comfortable and sits up near the
shoulders instead of hanging down your back.  This seems to improve my
posture while carrying it, and definitely gives me better range of
motion.  It could easily fit two laptops, but two laptops and a change
of clothes would be a stretch.  I carry my Precision M65 and a while lot
of crap in mine.  I have no idea about waterproofing.  Eddie Bauer had a
decent looking backpack when i was at their store this weekend, but
again, no idea about waterproofing.  You might be better off looking for
a good waterproof backpack, and using some laptops sleeves in it to give
them a little extra padding.

    -Dan Sikorski