[geeks] Disturbing Sun articles

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 5 11:11:47 CDT 2008

On Sep 5, 2008, at 07:39 , Francois Dion wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:36 PM,  <wa2egp at att.net> wrote:
>> It's just that I've been reading a lot of "my Suns take too much
>> power so I'm getting a PC" stuff this past week and it's getting
>> old real fast.  Just getting grumpy, school started.
>
> Only the big sun box use a good bit of power,

Depends on how you look at it.

I used several Sun Ultra machines, and they generated more heat than
all of my PCs and used more power.

If you look at it as a ration of wattage to CPU power, they come out
even worse.

My best guess is that for a given amount of power usage and heat, the
Sun machines were giving me about 25% as much CPU and I/O horsepower.

Noise... I can rarely even hear my PC server, so the ratio there is
even greater.

I would like to have some newer Sun machines, but I cannot justify the
price, heat, or noise associated with them.

Maybe when some of the smaller and quieter units show up on eBay I
could put some on a computer lab/clubhouse, but I don't see running
any at home in the next 1-2 years.

Well, unless I manage to gain a computer room anyway... :)

> Again, I would have liked to see t2 or rock based workstations..

Or just a small T2 based server that was quiet and could be hidden
away in a home network rack.

Sun isn't really interested in doing that.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com