[geeks] Disturbing Sun articles

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 06:39:11 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:36 PM,  <wa2egp at att.net> wrote:
> It's just that I've been reading a lot of "my Suns take too much power so I'm getting a PC" stuff this past week and it's getting old real fast.  Just getting grumpy, school started.

Only the big sun box use a good bit of power, like my E5500 which was
sleeping this summer - too hot. In the winter since I have to heat
anyway, I dont mind. I have a v100 that I run in the summer that has a
ridiculously small 100w max power supply, uses less power than my dell
laptop. runs my email and 4 sun rays. Hard to beat that in term of
electrical consumption. They do everything except HD video but that's
ok cause I have an htpc that runs solaris for that. But anyway, there
is nothing out there in term of PC that would be more efficient. I
just wish I could add more memory, which is what will force me to
retire it. Maybe by then I can afford a T1000.

At work, Sun 5240 servers (ultrasparc t2) are saving our butt. We dont
have the power in the datacenter to install the number of dell (x86)
servers we need, yet the 5240 will give us more horsepower in only 6u,
plus allowing us to retire x86 and old sparc machines, freeing
additional 22U or rack space and reducing our power consumption
further more.

Again, I would have liked to see t2 or rock based workstations..