[geeks] Dell Announces their Netbook "Latitude Mini 9"

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Fri Sep 5 00:41:15 CDT 2008

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Specs aren't wild - pretty mild actually, but I've ordered one so my lightly used Asus eee 701 will be available soon (not yet, please don't ask ;^)...
>
> Personally, I like the style of the new Dell mini notebook better than the eee, and the greater screen size and resolution should go a long way towards making it more useable (for me, with my aging eyes)...
>

> Here's a link[0] - it uses the 1.6 GHz Atom CPU, only 1 Gig of RAM, and comes with up to 16 Gig of built-in SSD...
>
> I wimped out and ordered the WinXP version - IIRC it was cheaper than upgrading the Ubuntu version (by a few $), and the MS "Tax" is only about $5 on something like this anyway...
>
> I'm sure the Ubuntu install disc image will be available soon anyway.

I've been excited for this machine.  Unfortunately, i've been pretty
busy today, so the only thing i got a chance to do was to get a quote
from our sales rep for one.  Based on my experimentation configuring
identical machines with ubuntu and XP, the XP machine comes out a little
more expensive, but only like $40.  I think the extra year warranty and
complete care prices are laughable.  Adding $200 to the price of a $350
device is not worth it at all.

I think I'm going to order a XP machine so i can get it faster, and like
you, check out Dell's ubuntu linux when it's available.  Any idea if
they'll just make an ISO available on their website?  Did you hear about
the promo starting tomo^H^H^H^H in a few hours?  Get a Mini 9 for $99
when you buy a XPS or studio 15 laptop.  I might see if any coworkers
are considering a new laptop and don't mind letting me get the remora deal.

    -Dan Sikorski