[geeks] Browser licensing?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Sep 3 18:52:39 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 07:44:33PM -0400, Eric Railine wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 06:33:46PM -0400, Eric Railine wrote:
> >
> >> I tried Chrome for all of 30 minutes (on Windows) but could not get it
> >> to import my Firefox bookmarks - it tried, gave up, and if I tried
> >> manually it would just consume 100% of my CPU (both cores).  Guess I
> >> won't be using it soon....
> >
> > I haven't tried it as I don't have any handy XP/Vista machines.  Getting
> > it to import my bookmarks is one of the things I care about least.  My
> > bookmarks would probably bog down any browser.
>
> My bookmarks bog them all down, too, but I *am* able to import them
> successfully into other browsers (I've tried IE7, Firefox2, Firefox3,
> & Opera, FWIW).  And while doing so they manage to only consume one
> core rather than both.  Consuming both cores *and* failing doesn't
> particularly impress me.  The benchmarks some people are claiming do
> sound impressive, but the EULA questions & the lack of usable
> bookmarks (for me) make it useless at the moment (as well as/esp. by
> not having a currently functional Linux port, per their own build
> instructions).  YMMV, IMO, etc. etc. etc.

I consider the lack of non Windows (probably will be fixed soon) and
non-x86 support (not so likely to be fixed) to be a bigger problem, but
I'm sure that eventually your bookmarks complaint will be fixed.  I'm
less confident that my desire for SPARC or PPC support will be fixed
anytime soon, unless google decides to port to the PS3.