[geeks] Browser licensing?

Eric Railine erailine at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 17:33:46 CDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Alois Hammer <aloishammer at casearmour.net> wrote:
> ...and there's no CODE at the site.  So, unless Google's chosen to
> distribute the source via some other means than their mighty
> project-hosting site, no code's been released to anyone outside Google.
> If there's no code release, it hasn't been licensed.  To anyone.  As
> anything.

FWIW, the code is apparently here:
http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/archives/chromium.tgz

This was found by following your link
(http://code.google.com/p/chromium/) then clicking on 'Main Site' on
the right to get to http://code.google.com/p/chromium/ which has a
'source code' link in the middle of the page.  That link takes you to
http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved; from there you can click on
the 'Getting Started' link which takes you to
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/getting-started which,
finally, has a 'source tarball' link to the tgz file I provided above.

Not exactly obvious.  It's also a 437MB download, so I haven't looked
at it yet & don't really expect to.

They obviously prefer that you use SVN to access/download the code.

I tried Chrome for all of 30 minutes (on Windows) but could not get it
to import my Firefox bookmarks - it tried, gave up, and if I tried
manually it would just consume 100% of my CPU (both cores).  Guess I
won't be using it soon....

-Eric