[geeks] Poaching an Egg

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 12:58:02 CDT 2008

Rick Hamell wrote:
>>> Now, you will be a real food geek when you start cooking by weights
>>> instead of volumetric measurements.
>>
>> I do that *all* *the* *time*!
>>
>>> I still have to really get started on the later, but first I need a
>>> decent pair of scales.  One regular digital kitchen scale, and one that
>>> is acurate to 0.01g.
>>
>> I use an analytical balance.  I'd use something less accurate, like a
>> three-beamer, but I already have the analytical balance for use in
>> chemistry, so why not?
>
> I disagree with this. In my opinion cooking is an art. Using precise
> measurements and temperatures takes the fun out of combining random
> ingredients and seeing what happens.

I *know* what happens.  I end up with inedible crap.

If it's a recipe I'm making up as I go along, I have pretty decent
instincts for what will go together and how much will be necessary.

If I'm cooking something from a recipe, I measure.  The person who wrote
the recipe knows more about the dish than I do.  If that wasn't the
case, I wouldn't need the recipe.  I'll make sure I stick as close as
possible to the recipe.  That means measurement.

Peace...  Sridhar