[geeks] Poaching an Egg

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Sep 2 16:08:09 CDT 2008

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 04:35:30PM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>> I just poached an egg for the first time.  I used my Fluke 189 with a
>> universal temperature probe to make sure the water was the correct
>> temperature.  I'm such a geek.
>
> I like measuring temperatures while cooking.  I want to get a IR unit so
> that I can also measure the temps of pans for sauteing.
>
> And a good oven unit would probably also be handy.

Alton Brown swears by Polder, but we've found the Pyrex units to be just
as good, cheaper, more reliable, and longer lasting.  You can buy a
whole new Pyrex thermometer/timer unit for the price of a replacement
Polder probe, and the Polder probes fail quickly.

I'd like to find a good IR pyrometer, but honestly I probably wouldn't
use it all that much.

> Now, you will be a real food geek when you start cooking by weights
> instead of volumetric measurements.
>
> I still have to really get started on the later, but first I need a
> decent pair of scales.  One regular digital kitchen scale, and one that
> is acurate to 0.01g.

That's the tough part.  The only strain-gauge kitchen scale we could
find only claims to be accurate to +/-0.05 oz, and it's rather small and
flimsy.  (And has membrane switches.  Ugh.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.