[geeks] Liber-fascism

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Oct 30 17:45:52 CDT 2008

Erie Patsellis wrote:

> Patrick, from what I 've been told (and not checked into), there are
> some laws on the books that give them certain tax exemptions,
> including reduced property taxes (at least in this neck of the woods)
> as well as other tax breaks, I'm not "hating" but if you've ever done
> business with the Amish, you'll quickly appreciate what I'm saying,
> like everybody else today, they want it cheap and want to sell what
> they have for big $$$.

I have to apologize, you are in fact correct - the Amish FAQ at

http://www.holycrosslivonia.org/amish/amishfaq.htm#tax

states:

======
Self-employed Amish do not pay Social Security tax. Those employed by
non- Amish employers do pay Social Security tax. The Amish do pay real
estate, state and federal income taxes, county taxes, sales tax, etc.

The Amish do not collect Social Security benefits, nor would they
collect unemployment or welfare funds. Self sufficiency is the Amish
community's answer to government aid programs. Section 310 of the
Medicare section of the Social Security act has a sub-section that
permits individuals to apply for exemption from the self-employment tax
if he is a member of a religious body that is conscientiously opposed to
Social Security benefits but that makes reasonable provision of taking
care of their own elderly or dependent members. The Amish have a long
history of taking care of their own members. They do not have retirement
communities or nursing homes; in most cases, each family takes care of
their own, and the Amish community gives assistance as needed.
======

So it looks like Social Security (15.3% or so if you are self-employed,
which includes Medicare/Medicaid) does not have to be paid.  On a
taxable income of say $30K (given they tend to live in rural areas) that
is a savings of about $4500.

And there is the old joke about how to make copper wire - you let two
Amishmen fight over a penny....

--Patrick