[geeks] Email blocked due to "Barracuda Reputation"

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Oct 16 16:00:41 CDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 04:20:53PM -0400, Mark G. Thomas wrote:
>Also, don't even get me started about Yahoo! list invitation spam
>and all the complaints from my users about the Yahoo! problem.

Oh Sh*T, I decided that I had enough of the problems with them and
made a yahoo list to counter it, hoping to get enough people to move
over.

The last time it happened, one of the people on the list suggested that
we move to a private server, and he voluntered to set it up and manage
the software if someone would provide it.

A friend of mine who is also on the list offered to give them all the
bandwidth they needed and a virtual machine to run any mailing list software
they wanted. The guy who offered to set it up disapeared faster than if
his girfriend said "honey, I'm pregnant". :-)

<rant>

I figured Yahoo was a known quantity, had 24/7 customer support and to be
honest, I would not inflict this mailing list on anyone I liked the least bit.
Among other things, it's infested by a ring of scammer/spammers who make up
email addresses using names of people who are active (but not too active)
on Jewish mailing lists, and then post things that look like recemendations
which are really SPAM.

One of them threatened people who said they were a scam with a slander suit,
including me, until I pointed out the list was run from servers in
Massechutsets, so US laws apply, and since they had a New Jersey office
(really a VoIP line with a New Jersey number), they were under the
jurisdiction of the State of New Jersey. Since they were not registered
as a foreign corporation to do business in the state or incorporated
in the state the first thing that would happen if someone filed a
complaint would be a visit from the tax man.

The stopped threatening people with law suits, and basicly shut up.

There are also 3 people on the list who make it their life's work to
contradict every post I write. :-( I've tried to quit before but
Margie and several other people asked me to stay. In order to stay
sane, I use procmail to shunt those people's email to David Knoll,
but still.
 </rant>

BTW, how are you doing?

Thanks,