[geeks] Email blocked due to "Barracuda Reputation"

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Thu Oct 16 15:20:53 CDT 2008

Geoff,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 09:21:39PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> A mailing list I am currently on suddenly started to use Barracuda
> Networks "whitelist" to block email.
>
> Is this legit, or is it just some way of making you register with them
> so that they can get something out of your registration?

See  http://www.barracudacentral.org/rbl

I haven't received any spam from them, as a registered user.

> <rant>
> I'm really getting tired of these things happening, it seems to me the
> mailing list provider has a desire to block everyone except disposable
> email accounts. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail), which is where almost all of
> of the SPAM and scams on the list come from. :-(
>
> I really think they should move the list to Yahoo.

But in your case it's broken -- either due to misconfiguration
(ignorance?) or broken software, your list provider is looking up
the *wrong* IP address in the Barracuda Networks reputation list.
Otherwise, your mail would not be blocked.

Like the Spamhaus PBL, the Barracuda list intentionally seems
to include end user DUL IPs, such as your own. Used properly,
this blocks direct-to-MX spam from malware/infected broadband
users.

Spamhaus spells out the limitation (feature):

"Do not use PBL in filters that do any bdeep parsingb of Received
headers, or for other than checking IP addresses that hand off to
your mailservers." -- http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/

Also, don't even get me started about Yahoo! list invitation spam
and all the complaints from my users about the Yahoo! problem.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)