[geeks] IRQL_NOT_OR_LESS_EQUAL

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Oct 2 02:42:39 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:17:52PM -0700, Jon Gilbert wrote:
>On Oct 1, 2008, at 10:06 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
>>Unknown devices are common. Look at the PCI ID and STFW on that.
>>What windows does is search all the .inf files it can find for a
>>matching
>>manufacturer and product code, If the device installer can't find
>>one, Windows flags it as an unknown device.
>>
>>Sometimes you can fake it by modifying an inf file for the same
>>device from
>>a different manufacturer.
>>I've had no success with HP scanners, and good success with
>>bluetooth USB
>>dongles.
>
>What's the best way to check the PCI ID and STFW? I used Devcon.exe
>and I got  "ACPI\PNP0103\0 Device has a problem: 01." That's the only
>info it had. Thanks for any help

Right click on the device in device manager, select details
and display "hardware ids".

You will see something like PCI\VEN_xxxx&DEV_yyyy and so on.

STFW is short for "Search The Fine Web". VEN is vendor id, Dev is device
id, both are 4 digit numbers, I believe in hex, but it does not mater
for searching.

The vendor id and device id is constant, so you can also search to see
if there is a Linux or xBSD driver for it too.

Not all manufacturers use the same device number, sometimes for different
versions of the same card/device. For example, I have a Realtek 8139 card
made by a company that used 8139 as the device id, like everyone else does,
but for the heck of it produced a few with a different id and no one including
themselves had drivers for it. I assume it was for a specific box vendor,
I was unable to find.

Geoff.