[geeks] grudging praise for a Micosoft product

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu May 29 23:24:23 CDT 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 17:38 , Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 05:23:33PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> I rather not remap, but that's not the issue.  For one thing, I can
>> never get the keymapping to work quite right in Windows.  Remapping
>> in
>> Windows is a fairly high level function, so you end up with some
>> software honoring it, and some not.
>>

> Not really, there is a remaping facility at the scan code level.

[ snip ]

Been there, done that, it's not as low level as you think.

It remaps for applications just fine, but as soon as I fire up a game,
it's a wierd combination of default and remapping.

I believe the regedit hack changes a code mapping in a Windows system
call, not the low level keyboard intercept, at least that's how it
behaves on my WinXP machine.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com