[geeks] grudging praise for a Micosoft product

Wed May 28 07:54:24 CDT 2008

> The problem with stickers or engraving is that if you are a touch
> typist in your native language, engraving letters in a second
> alphabet allows you to look at the keys.  In practice, many people
> learn to type that second alphabet by looking at the keys instead of
> learning to touch type.

And what's wrong with that?  Learning where the keys are is a
semi-necessary step on the path to touch-typing.  It's how I learned to
touch-type QWERTY, for example - I used to be hunt-and-peck, then with
practice the "hunt" phase faded; as knowledge of where the various keys
are migrated down out of my conscious, I started using more fingers.
Even today I don't "formally" touch-type (as in, I don't necessarily
use the officially assigned finger for the letter), but I no longer
need to look at the keyboard and my speed is certainly well up in the
touch-typing range.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca