[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri May 23 22:23:32 CDT 2008

Mark wrote:
> On 21 May 2008, at 21:52, Nadine Miller wrote:
>
>> Programming for the PS3 is a very different beast than programming for
>> the PC.  Though, if EVE is based on an existing FPS engine, most of
>> the popular ones have been ported already.
>
> Well, as it's not an FPS (it's a space game, ala Elite/Freelancer) then
> it'd be hard for it to be... the great thing about EVE is that  the core
> logic is written in stackless Python, if they wrote or lisenced a
> graphics engine for the PS3 then the game logic and the rest would be
> relatively straightforward as Python is already there for the PPC/PS3
> platform.
>
> All pipe dreams I know, but it proves that it wouldn't be an
> unobtainable feat. IMO It'd be easier than a lot of other PC games.

I'm not sure why they haven't; I think it's partly due to the perception
that "hard core" console players are more into FPS and similar than
"persistent" MMO type environments.  I don't know how successful Final
Fantasy Online was; this would probably be the bellweather game at least
as far as the PS2/PS3 family is concerned, as a lot of cash was sunk
into it's launch and the release of the hard drive add-on for the PS2.

Part of it, too, is that the executives that run the console companies
are very Japan-focused and the market there is considerably different
from the US market.  There's also a lot of license weirdness.

For example, I think the reason why the network aspects of PS* and
Nintendo gaming are so much weaker than XBOX live has to do with the
failure of the Japanese to understand how to market this segment of
their offerings.  The dissolution of our first party studio in the US
PS2 division was totally based on the Japanese not understanding how to
proceed with network services (the code was 90% written and close to
ready to be handed off to 1st and 3rd party game studios).  Hence the
announcement (prior to the layoffs) by a Sony VP @ the Game Developers'
conference in San Jose that they would be focusing solely on networking
in games and not other network services.

Nintendo has oriented it's network offerings to be a bit more
social-focused, which I'm guessing they think holds more interest for
the "casual" gamer.

I always referred to Sony as a "Winchester Mystery House" corporation.
I figured there was maybe a half-dozen people over in Japan that knew
WTF was going on in all the divisions.  The rest of us basically were
working in the dark, knowing only what was necessary for our immediate
work.  Paid well, plenty of benefits, but my perception was that this
particular division was not really a welcoming place if you were not a
game developer or artist.

It retrospect I probably should have stuck around; I don't think I was
ever called after hours on that job.  Since my developers were not
actually working on /games/ they never had the kind of hard deadlines
for Christmas releases that other teams had.  Their code just went into
libraries provided to the game developers.  I am pretty sure the PS
Network team would have snagged me so I wouldn't have been laid off.

Hindsight and all...

=Nadine=