[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu May 22 14:43:30 CDT 2008

der Mouse wrote:
>> And don't get me started on the parasitic nature of Canada and India,
>> at the least, in relation to drug patents.
>
> How about the parasitic nature of someone who thinks that a patent in
> country A should have anything at all to do with what is done in
> country B?  ("Parasitic" may be a little strong here, but not much.)
>
> You want patent protection outside the USA's borders?  File patents
> outside the USA's bortders!  Do you care about their patents?  No?
> Then why should they care about yours?

I don't think you understand the point I was making.

Both Canada and India (perhaps other countries as well), do not pay the
going rate for patented drugs.

Instead, they give the drug companies a choice:  either sell it to us at
what "we ($country)" think is a fair price, or, we will remove patent
protection from the drug, and produce it ourselves, paying you just a
pittance for the use of the patent.

Maybe to underscore this, the USA should remove copyright protection on
anything written by Mordecai Richler, Margaret Atwood, Robertson Davies
etc. unless the publisher agrees to sell those books at below-market
rates?

Doesn't $10 for a 600-page hardbound book, sound a lot more "fair" than
$26.95?

--Patrick