[geeks] Import Fees

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed May 21 16:41:26 CDT 2008

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> Ugh, import duties.
>>>
>>> My wife bought a nutritional supplement from the US that's not
>>> available here in the form she wanted.  It cost $50.  She got a
>>> notice today that she will have to pay 187 shekels to pick it up
>>> ($56.25).
>>>
>>> WTF?!
>> Was that with a declared value?  If so, that's absolutely
>> revolting.
>
> I think they have to believe the stated value, and the onus is
> typically on the receiver as I understand it. If they don't believe
> the value, they get to make their own up. Also, as a food supplement,
> maybe it is taxed at a higher, protectionist rate...

One problem with the tariff debate in the USA is that workers are always
screaming for protectionist tariffs.  I don't believe in protectionist
tariffs.  I don't think they work.  I *do*, however, believe in punitive
tariffs.  You tariff imports from our country at a high rate, and we'll
tariff yours at exactly double the rate you chose.  You don't like it,
drop your tariffs, and ours will automatically go away.  There are too
many situations in the US where the tariffs are radically misbalanced.

Peace...  Sridhar