[geeks] PayPal alternative offering $25 free cash

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat May 17 19:03:32 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Craiglist doesn't like you using non-local areas/cities and they don't like
> you doing deals strictly via email and shipping.
>
> I've done it anyway, but some people report their listings cancelled or
> other actions by craigslist when they did that.

CL is purely user-policed, so you have to post your ads in such a way
that the community will not nuke them.  There's a lot of talk about
how to do it in the affiliate forums.

> Another issue is that I can usually get a better price on eBay when I'm
> selling.

Yes, unfortunately, CL'ers are pretty much all looking for
steals--it's like dealing with the low-end Mac list.

> I really wish eBay could have just stayed like they were.  There really
> isn't an alternative that works as well, although it looks like they are
> working hard to fix that by ruining the service completely.
>
> Hopefully they'll screw it up so bad someone else will come along.
>
> eBay: I'm willing to bet they are trying to just become a commercial online
> flea market and will ditch auctions.

They clearly have missed the fact that their success was built on the
success of individuals selling stuff they don't need.  Instead, they
seem to be catering to entities selling large volume at fixed prices.
We can only hope that the big guys figure out that it's better to run
your own website than pay eBay & PayPal.

=Nadine=