[geeks] Paging software?

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Mon Mar 31 19:43:31 CDT 2008

Alois Hammer wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:35:22 -0400, "Patrick Giagnocavo"
> <patrick at zill.net> said:
>> For $15 / month rent a virtual private server on the Internet, like a
>> small Linux Xen instance or a Solaris zone, from a company like mine or
>> a thousand others out there.
>>
>> Install monitoring software there, that emails a message to your phone
>> if it can't reach $X (or if whatever error condition you are monitoring
>> for, is returned).  This solution is completely out of band.
>>
>> No hardware cost, no messing around with blah blah this or that,
>> recurring cost is negligible.
>
> I neglected to mention "absolutely no budget whatsoever" among the other
> restrictions...

Same solution, use surplus hardware from your parts closet, put it in
your house.

When The Powers That Be question the wisdom of placing a critical
service in someone's house remind them they said 'no buget' and 'you get
what you pay for'. [1]

You might wish to put this in more diplomatic language of course ..

[1] I have a lot of sympathy for your position - the Day Job is getting
used to the idea of being a big company but a lot of people insist on
doing things the way they were when it was 100 guys in a single building.

--
Brian Dunbar