[geeks] Paging software?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Mar 31 18:32:43 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 05:01:30PM -0400, Alois Hammer wrote:
> I'm looking for a reasonably solid and capable chunk of paging software
> to use at work; we're having severe, intermittent problems with our mail
> relay, and we have this sort of circular problem of needing to send
> pages via email to let us know that there's a mail relay problem.

Years ago, I used sendpage (.org) in conjunction with other monitoring
software.  Unfortunately, most phone companies now have completely
discontinued pager service and/or gotten rid of their IXO/TAP gateways, and
will just tell you "use email-to-text-messaging".

This sucks, because you can't guarantee delivery of an email going through
a text messaging gateway.

I had a rather nice setup that I had to dismantle when AT&T quit offering
IXO/TAP in '03.  Sometimes I think I'd rather just have a pager instead of
a phone these days.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford