[geeks] Paging software?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Mar 31 17:35:22 CDT 2008

Alois Hammer wrote:
> I'm looking for a reasonably solid and capable chunk of paging software
> to use at work; we're having severe, intermittent problems with our mail
> relay, and we have this sort of circular problem of needing to send
> pages via email to let us know that there's a mail relay problem.

For $15 / month rent a virtual private server on the Internet, like a
small Linux Xen instance or a Solaris zone, from a company like mine or
a thousand others out there.

Install monitoring software there, that emails a message to your phone
if it can't reach $X (or if whatever error condition you are monitoring
for, is returned).  This solution is completely out of band.

No hardware cost, no messing around with blah blah this or that,
recurring cost is negligible.

--Patrick