[geeks] Paging software?

Alois Hammer aloishammer at casearmour.net
Mon Mar 31 16:01:30 CDT 2008

I'm looking for a reasonably solid and capable chunk of paging software
to use at work; we're having severe, intermittent problems with our mail
relay, and we have this sort of circular problem of needing to send
pages via email to let us know that there's a mail relay problem.

For various reasons, my team has to produce a solution without any kind
of outside support, like from the corporate systems monitoring.  It's
been a while since I've done this, so I'm looking at qpage, which would
be great if we could get Security's authorization to stick a modem down
in the cage.  G-page looks way cool, except that it seems to be intended
(primarily?  entirely?) for desktop use.  But it has WCTP, which all the
cool kids started using while I wasn't looking.

Then there's sendpage, which would probably do for SNPP, which /does/
avoid the problem of needing to send email to send out a page.  But it
doesn't appear to support WCTP, and I want to be a cool kid, too.  Also,
I probably wouldn't have to get a firewall exception to speak to a WCTP
server, assuming our provider uses the default port 80.

Recommendations?